The following is a list of useful websites and resources:
Special Education Resources in Stafford County
- Stafford County Public Schools’ Parent Resource Center – An information center for Stafford County families and others concerned with the education and care of children with disabilities.
- Stafford County Public Schools
- Child Find – Free developmental screenings for preschool children ages 2 – 5.
- Virginia Family Special Education Connection – A new website dedicated to providing comprehensive information on special education issues, practices and services to families who have children with disabilities in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- The Learning Disabilities Association of Virginia – An organization that focuses on “enhancing educational and vocational services for individuals with learning disabilities who live in Virginia.”
- The Disability Resource Center – Organization with the mission to “assist people with disabilities, those who support them, and the community, through information, education, and resources, to achieve the highest potential and benefit of independent living.”
- CHADD – Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder website.
- T/TAC – E-learning/assistive technology resource.
- Disability is Natural
- Virginia Department of Education (Special Education)
- Department of Education
- IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)
- Special Education Law
- Brownley Law Group
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA)
- The Special Education and IEP Advisor Website
- Super Duper Publications (Internet store for differently abled learners)
- Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) Act
- National Disability Institute (ABLE Act)
- Autism Speaks 10 Things to Know About the ABLE Act
- Children’s Hospital – (neuropsychological evaluations)
- Virginia Commission on Youth (collection of evidence-based practices)
- Virginia PTA
- National PTA
- Behavior Doctor
- LD Online
- Autism Society of Northern Virginia
- Cerebral Palsy Information
- Sesame Street Autism Resources for Parents
- Reduce the Noise: Help Loved Ones with Sensory Overload Enjoy Shopping
- Academic Accommodation Resources
- Estate Planning for Parents of Special Needs Kids
- The Cerebral Palsy Group
National PTA Special Education Toolkit
Getting Started: An introduction to the Special Education process and how to advocate for your child.
From Pre-K to Graduation: Transitioning your student throughout his or her school career and preparing them for college or the workforce after graduation.
Understanding Federal Policy: An overview of federal disability and special needs policies, including the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
A Parent’s Dictionary: Key terms to know when getting started in special education.
Acronyms: An overview of acronyms used in special education and disability policies and programs.
Resources: A directory of tools and organizations that families can access for assistance.
Accessibility rights resources:
Grants for Home Modification: 16 Resources for Homeowners with Disabilities
Renting with Disabilities
ADA: Disabilities and Your Rights as an Employee
Nine In-Depth 508 Compliant Addiction Resources
Federal Service Dog Law in Plain English
A Parent’s Guide to Researching Schools for Children with Special Needs
The Importance of Socialization for Kids with Disabilities
The Guide to Securing Life-long Accommodations for Adult Children with Special Needs
A Complete Guide to Service, Therapy and Emotional Support Dogs